This project is the second phase of the Athletics Master Plan and includes the construction of a new Football Operations Building adjacent to the Welsh Indoor Practice Facility at the artificial turf field. The first phase of the Athletics Master Plan was completed in 2020 and consisted of two new grass practice football fields, a football storage building, modifications to Welsh Indoor Practice Facility and a portion of the new pedestrian promenade.
The project site is bound to the north by the east McCue parking lot, to the east by Emmet Street, to the south by Welsh Indoor Practice Facility and to the west by the new grass training fields. The project will demolish the existing artificial turf training field and modify the under-field drainage system and erect a two story, 78,000 square foot training facility for student-athletes including locker rooms, strength and conditioning spaces, nutrition spaces, team meeting spaces, sports medicine areas for treatment and recovery, as well as coaches’ offices, video operations, and building support spaces. The outdoor spaces between the proposed building and Welsh to the south and the practice fields to the west will stay artificial turf but also provide fire access. The existing Football nutrition trailer to the east of the McCue Center building will also be removed, along with the utility services to the trailer. The project will also provide a portion of the new pedestrian promenade from the Goodwin Bridge and connect into the portion installed during the Phase 1 project. The site is currently flat, and the elevation is above the east McCue parking lot. It will be accessible from the parking lot. Great care and coordination will be needed during construction to allow the surrounding practice facilities to stay operational.
The new facility is designed to provide student-athletes with a safe and effective training environment with connections to both the new outdoor training fields and the Welsh Indoor Practice Facility. The proposed facility represents the second phase of redevelopment of the Athletics district masterplan and will replace existing Athletics facilities that are undersized, outdated, and in need of improvements. The new Football Operations building will be state-of-the-art, comprehensive, training center that will address needs of UVA student-athletes, coaches, and administrative staff.
Construction is anticipated to begin in Q4 2022/Q1 2023 and be completed Q1 2025.
UVA Football Operations Center Bid Opportunities
Bid Package #4 – Early September 2022
- Search for Bidders – Project teams review internet databases, owner recommendations and community partner lists for vendors who match upcoming bid packages.
- Outreach Event – Vendors who attend the Outreach Event have the opportunity to meet the Barton Malow team, learn more about the project and connect with potential partners.
- Register + Pre-qualify – All vendors interested in bidding on the project must both Register and Pre-qualify. Vendors must register for each project they are interested in bidding. Vendors pre-qualify their business only once – this step is not required for every project.
- Invitation to Bid – Registered and pre-qualified vendors will receive an invitation to bid on the project. This will be sent via email using the Barton Malow online bidding tool, BuildingConnected.
- Pre-bid Meeting – Invited bidders have the opportunity to attend a pre-bid meeting where they may ask further questions about the project, working with Barton Malow and the scope of work they have been invited to bid on.
- Bid Day – This is the day all bidders submit their bids for review. Bids must be submitted according to the process and procedures outlined in the materials received with the invitation to bid.
- Bid Evaluation – Bids received will be reviewed based on the project’s evaluation criteria. Bids are evaluated by the community engagement team, construction project team, the owner/client and a neutral compliance party (as applicable).
Contractors: Get Connected
Interested in getting connected to UVA Football Operations Center bid opportunities? In order to do so, you must register for the project by first completing the Project Registration Form below. This form will get you added to our interested bidders list so that you can identify potential partners and learn more about the services and products they provide. You will also be added to our contact list, and will receive regular updates on the project, bid package release dates, and outreach event information. Be sure to check your Junk and Spam accounts regularly to make sure you don’t miss out!
Ashley Stark: email@example.com