September 18, 2008
Walbridge Barton Malow Completes Detroit Metropolitan Airport's North Terminal
Southfield, MI – September 18, 2008 — The joint venture team of Walbridge Barton Malow (WBM) has completed construction of the Detroit Metropolitan Airport’s North Terminal, which began May 2006. The joint venture team was hired by the Wayne County Airport Authority (WCAA) in January 2005 to oversee the redevelopment project.
The 26-gate, 850,000 square foot terminal complex, which replaces the Berry and Smith terminals, employed more than 6,000 tradesmen during the construction process. With a full-time project staff of 40 professionals, WBM oversaw procurement of more than 60 prime contracts in excess of $350 million and directed 700+ tradesmen on site during peak construction periods.
The facility includes a multi-airline terminal, Federal Inspection Services (FIS) to accommodate international flights, baggage handling facility, hydrant fueling system, and apron replacement. It contains 8,750 tons of structural steel and 206,000 cubic yards of concrete in the building and apron areas. Construction also included a three-level ground transportation center adjacent to the Big Blue Deck (parking garage) to accommodate commercial vehicles loading and unloading, and an enclosed skywalk connecting the terminal to Big Blue.
Walbridge Barton Malow implemented many innovative programs on the North Terminal project, including a formal partnership with the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA), Michigan
Department of Labor & Economic Growth (DLEG), the Greater Detroit Building and Construction Trades Council, and the Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters and Millwrights to ensure the safety and health of workers on the construction project.
“Walbridge and Barton Malow have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to protect their workers,” said DLEG Acting Director Robert W. Swanson.
Walbridge and Barton Malow have both performed significant work at Metro Airport in the past. Barton Malow was on the lead team for the airport's $2.2 billion Capital Improvement Program, and Walbridge performed over $700 million worth of construction as contractor, design/builder or construction manager on portions of the Capital Improvement Program.
The two companies, both headquartered in southeastern Michigan, are best known nationally for their large-scale projects, in both public and private sectors. Walbridge and Barton Malow were both founded in Detroit, in 1916 and 1924, respectively.
Walbridge provides a full range of construction and facility related services including construction management, general construction contracting, design/build, integrated program management, and lean and sustainable construction. Walbridge also self-perform concrete, millwright and rigging, production equipment installation and facilities maintenance through several subsidiaries. Walbridge is known throughout the industry for continuous achievements in safety and lean construction. The company has a staff of 600 in offices across North America and Mexico and services all markets. For more information, please visit our website at For additional information, visit www.walbridge.com.
Barton Malow Company provides construction management, design/build, program management, general contracting, technology and rigging services throughout North America. The ISO (quality) certified company has LEED Accredited Professionals on staff and is an industry Building Information Modeling (BIM) leader. Niche market specialties include health care, educational, federal, industrial, energy, and special event facilities. Barton Malow has a staff of 1,500 in 13 offices and is headquartered in Southfield, Michigan. Annual firm revenues exceed $1 billion. For additional information, visit www.bartonmalow.com.