The J. Murrey Atkins Library was originally constructed in 1971 and is located at the heart of University of North Carolina Charlotte’s campus. At over 300,000 SF Atkins Library is the main library on campus. The second and final phase of this project includes approximately 11,500 sqft of interior renovations required for ADA and Fire/Smoke System upgrades. The existing elevator and portions of the shaft will be removed to expand the footprint and install larger elevators that meet current ADA codes.
Additional renovations for ADA compliance and upgrades to the Fire/Smoke system will take place on floors 1 through 10. This phase also includes restroom renovations on floors 5 through 10. The anticipated schedule for Phase 2 is July 2024 to October 2025.
Procurement: Understanding Process
- Search for Bidders – Project teams review internet databases, owner recommendations, and community partner lists for vendors who match upcoming bid packages.
- Outreach Event – Vendors who attend the Outreach Event have the opportunity to meet the Barton Malow team, learn more about the project, and connect with potential partners.
- Register – All vendors interested in bidding on the project must register for each project they are interested in bidding.
- Invitation to Bid – Registered and pre-qualified vendors will receive an invitation to bid on the project.
- Pre-bid Meeting – Invited bidders have the opportunity to attend a pre-bid meeting where they may ask further questions about the project, working with Barton Malow, and the scope of work they have been invited to bid on.
- Bid Day – This is the day all bidders submit their bids for review. Bids must be submitted according to the process and procedures outlined in the materials received with the invitation to bid.
- Bid Evaluation – Bids received will be reviewed based on the project’s evaluation criteria. Bids are evaluated by the community engagement team, construction project team, the owner/client, and a neutral compliance party (as applicable).
- Pre-qualify – Vendors pre-qualify their business only once – this step is not required for every project.
All Prime Bidders are required to prequalify using the State Construction Office Part A & Part B Forms
Part A: CM at Risk 1st Tier Subcontractor Master Prequalification Form (Annual Submittal): Click Here To Complete Part A
Part B: CM at Risk 1st Tier Subcontractor Prequalification (Project Specific Supplement): Click Here To Complete Part B
Contractors: Get Connected
Interested in getting connected to Atkins Library Tower bid opportunities? In order to do so, you must register for the project by first completing the Project Registration Form below. This form will get you added to our interested bidders list so that you can identify potential partners and learn more about the services and products they provide. You will also be added to our contact list, and will receive regular updates on the project, bid package release dates, and outreach event information. Be sure to check your Junk and Spam accounts regularly to make sure you don’t miss out!