Barton Malow’s Community Engagement Program has a proactive approach to building a strong, diverse workforce through the following initiatives:
- Create opportunities that increase diversity and inclusion of women and minorities in the skilled trades
- Strengthen relationships with government, workforce, and educational partners focused on career tech education (CTE) and on-the-job training
- Create a pathway for job seekers to connect with subcontractors seeking to fill skilled trades positions on our projects
- Seek to employ local residents, including those of the immediate surrounding neighborhoods of our projects
- Provide paid training through the Barton Malow Bootcamp pre-apprenticeship program
Barton Malow Boot Camp
Created in 2016, the Barton Malow Boot Camp is a six-week paid work experience program that provides an opportunity for area residents between the ages of 18-24 to learn industry fundamentals. The training focuses on the experience needed to enter a career in the skilled trades. The program is an industry outreach collaborative with our clients, local government, trade unions, and professional development partners seeking to create a viable talent pool to support the industry’s trade labor shortage.
The 120-hour program includes a historic overview of the construction industry and culture, financial literacy, OSHA and soft skills training, information on apprentice career paths, on-the-job training in concrete, heavy civil, and much more. Every boot camper is assigned a Barton Malow mentor, a skilled tradesperson on the project site, who spends two days per week during the program providing career guidance and hands-on demonstrations to the participants.
Participants in this program come from a variety of sources, including the Barton Malow workforce database, career fairs, local career, and technical centers, vocational schools, technical colleges, building trade unions, employment service providers, and labor-management groups. Our goal is to not only provide opportunities for training but to promote continual growth.
Workforce Development Awards
Category: AGC in the Community – Barton Malow Boot Camp
Category: Future Workforce Fuelers Category
Category: Outstanding Achievement in Workforce Development – Employer
Interested in applying?
Looking to partner with Barton Malow as a workforce training provider?
Complete our questionnaire and a member of our team will follow up with you.